Subjects allocated to this Ministry as per Second Schedule to the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961 are:-
- Overall policy, planning, coordination, evaluation and review of the regulatory and development programmes of the minority communities.
- All matters relating to minority communities except matters relating to law and order.
- Policy initiatives for protection of minorities and their security in consultation with other Central Government Ministries and State Government.
- Matters relating to Linguistic Minorities and of the Office of the Commissioner for Linguistic Minorities.
- Matters relating to National Commission for Minorities Act.
- Work relating to the Evacuee Waqf properties under the Administration of Evacuee Property Act, 1950 (31 of 1950) (since repealed).
- Representation of the Anglo-Indian community.
- Protection and preservation of non-Muslim shrines in Pakistan and Muslim shrines in India in terms of the Pant-Mirza Agreement of 1955, in consultation with the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Questions relating to the minority communities in neighboring countries, in consultation with the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Charities and charitable institutions, charitable and religious Endowments pertaining to subjects dealt with in the Department.
- Matters pertaining to the socio-economic, cultural and educational status of minorities, minority organizations, including the Maulana Azad Education Foundation.
- The Waqf Act, 1995 (43 of 1995) and Central Waqf Council.
- The Durgah Khawaja Saheb Act, 1955 (36 of 1955).
- Funding of programmes and projects for the welfare of minorities, including the National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation.
- Employment opportunities for minorities in the Central and State public sector undertakings, as also in the private sector.
- Formulation of measures relating to the protection of minorities and their security in consultation with other concerned Central Ministries and State Governments.
- National Commission for Socially and Economically Backward Sections among Religious and Linguistic Minorities.
- Prime Minister's new 15-Point Programme for Minorities.
- Any other issue pertaining to the minority communities.
The Ministry of External Affairs deals with matters relating to the following subjects:
- The Haj Committee Act, 2002.
- The Haj Committee Rules, 2002.
- The Central Haj Committee.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development deals with matters relating to the following subjects:
- National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language(NCPUL).
- Education of Minorities.
- National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions.
- Scheme for Providing Quality Education in Madrassas(SPQEM).
- Scheme for Infrastructure Development for Minority Institutes(IDMI).
- Scheme for Infrastructure Development in Private Aided/Unaided Minority Institutes (Elementary, Secondary/Senior Secondary School).
- The Right of Children of Free and Compulsory Education Act,2009.